Sri MGR Year 98, 9th July, Thursday
Today 9.7.2015 is the 50th year of release of Padmini Pictures and our Puratchi Thalaivar MGR starrer hit movie Ayirathil Oruvan (One in a thousand). Produced and directed by B.R.Panthulu, music is by Viswanthan and Ramamurthy (unfortunately the last movie for the duo worked together) dialogues rendered by R.K.Shanmugam, lyrics by Kannadasan and Vali.
As I had already written descriptive posts about the story in 8 parts I will give you a very brief account on the story of Ayirathil Oruvan.
Cast and character
|R.S.Manohar||King of Neithal Nadu (later Dictator)|
|L.Vijayalakshmi||Queen of Selvatheevu|
|K.P.Ramakrishnan||one of the rebel|
|Puthur Natarajan||one of the rebel|
Neithal Nadu is ruled by King turned Dictator (R.S.Manohar) the subjects rebels against his atrocious rule and they were badly injured during an assault against the dictator.
To the left is MGR as Doctor and to the right an image from the shooting spot (courtesy K.P.Ramakrishnan’s son R.Govindaraj)
The rebels takes the injured to Manimaran (MGR) a Doctor for treatment knowing what they did Manimaran treats them, same time the guards arrests the rebels and as well as the doctor. In the court Manimaran was banished and sold as slaves with other rebels to Kannitheevu. In the journey Manimaran takes up as the leader of the rebels and vows for the freedom of his motherland.
A scene from Ayirathil Oruvan MGR fully wet, K.P.Ramakrishnan, who is the stunt double for M.N.Nambiyar is behind MGR (courtesy K.P.Ramakrishnan’s son R.Govindaraj)
Kannitheevu was ruled by Chengappan (Ramadoss) and his niece is Poongkodi (Jayalalaitha) the slaves were sold to Kannitheevu, there they toil as hard labourers. Poongkodi likes Manimaran and fells in love with him.
Manimaran gives courage and inspiration to his people. The island was attacked by pirates, unfortunately island army was on the other side. Chengappan ask Manimaran to help save the island and for their success Chengappan assures that he will grant freedom from slavery. Manimaran and his men bravely fights against the pirates and saves Kannitheevu. After the fight Chengappan acts against the promised words and they were arrested. Manimaran hints on a plan and escapes with his people, with a surprise attack take holds the pirate ship which was leaving Kannitheevu.
The pirate Leader (M.N.Nambiyar) comes to know the plight of Manimaran and his people, he gives a helping hand. Later it is revealed that the pirate leader has another idea, he cunningly takes them to his island Selvatheevu. The pirate leader knowing that Manimaran loves his people and the country gives one option to join his team and become pirates. Manimaran refuses but when pirate leader tries to kill his people, he accepts and becomes the pirate.
The above images are not in the final cut of the movie (courtesy MGR Devotee Bangalore Vinod)
Manimaran on becoming pirate targets pirate ships and steals the treasure from them. The pirate leader was amazed at the shrewdness of Manimaran. At this time Poongkodi feeling sad wants to take a sea journey. Chengappan thinking he is clever hoists a pirate flag over his ship. Manimaran spots this ship and attacks. He comes to know that it is not a pirate ship and Poongkodi is in the ship. He tries to save Poongkodi but she was taken for auction. The pirate leader who likes Poongkodi wants to buy her, his wife the Queen of Selvatheevu (L.Vijayalakshmi) tries to save her without her husband knowledge.
During the auction, as a surprise Manimaran buys her. Poongkodi was infuriated by the change in Manimaran character. The pirate leader comes to know the fact and goes to Manimaran house and ask him to give her as a present. Manimaran opposes and a sword fight ensues. The queen asks Poongkodi to save her husband and begs to tell a lie that they are married couple. With hesitation Poongkodi interferes the fight and tells that lie to the pirate leader.
On the left is the classic stance of our Puratchi Thalaivar MGR meeting the dictator scene and to the right is photo session of MGR, Kamatchi Nathan and M.N.Nambiyar (courtesy MGR Devotee Bangalore Vinod)
Later Poongkodi comes to know the fact that to save his men from death Manimaran became a pirate, she changes her mind and starts to like him again. The pirate leader hatches one plan by sending Manimaran to sea and thereby kill him and take his wife. Poongkodi reveals her love to Manimaran and they marry. Meanwhile the dictator of Neithal Nadu takes up a sea journey this news reaches Manimaran, at that same time the pirate leader ask Manimaran to lead the plunder instead of him because of his illness.
The pirate leader cruel intention is revealed to Manimaran, he becomes alert and change his plan accordingly and takes Poongkodi with him. But the pirate leader confronts him in the shores and throws the gauntlet. As per the law of the island whoever wins the fight against a leader will become the new Leader. The fight between Manimaran and pirate leader takes place over the cliffs. Finally Manimaran over powers the pirate leader. When the difference of opinion cease to exist Manimaran extends his arm as gesture of friendship, with changed heart and as a repentance for the sins he had committed the pirate leader accepts and assures that he will fight along with Manimaran against the dictator.
To the left is the 50th day ad of Ayirathil Oruvan run in Bangalore theatres and to the right is Kannada ad (courtesy MGR Devotee Bangalore Vinod)
With new spirit and added strength, everybody confronts the navy of the dictator in mid sea. At one stage the dictator was injured by a poison dagger thrown by the pirate leader. Manimaran treats the dictator and saves him, by this time the navy over powers the pirates and everyone were taken as prisoners.
In the court the King/dictator comes down from the throne and takes up the hand of Manimaran and request him to rule the kingdom. But Manimaran turns down the offer, asks him to remain in power and to rule as a good king with the help of newly found commander (the pirate leader) and also he adds that he wishes to continue to serve the people as a doctor rather that a king.
The movie has seven spellbinding songs:
1. Paruvam yenathu padal – solo song for Jayalalaitha
2. Yen endra kelvi – philosophical song for MGR
3. Odum maegangale – philosophical song for MGR
4. Unnai Naan – solo song for Jayalalitha
5. Aadamal adukiren – solo song for Jayalalitha
6. Naanamo innum – duet song
7. Atho antha paravai polo – philosophical song for MGR
From you tube site uploaded by RVV MGR.
The dialog writer R.K.Shanmugam during the silver jubilee function celebrated in Kamaraj Arangam on 1st September 2014 told us that the dialogs were told by MGR and he only wrote on behalf of him.
The movie has brilliant dialogs, the unforgettable MGR and Nambiyar war of the words, MGR explaining about his part with the rebels to Jayalalitha & scene before the climax, talk with Puthur Natarajan about helping people of Neithal Nadu, Jayalalitha telling MGR that he is God etc. are worth mentioning.
Some important dialogs compilation, captured during the 101st day of Ayirathil Oruvan release in Albert theatre.
The most famous MGR and Nambiyar dialog war, captured by MGR Devotee Sathya on the 101st day of Ayirathil Oruvan movie.
MGR dialogs between Nambiyar, Puthur Natarajan and the fans reaction captured in Albert theatre on the 101st day of Ayirathil Oruvan
1. The first movie for MGR and Jayalalitha combo.
2. The first movie for MGR and B.R.Panthulu combination.
3. First time two colour movies released in a single year (1965) Enga Veetu Pillai and Ayirathil Oruvan.
4. Ayirathil Oruvan is one of the two movies heavily centered around the liberation from slavery and exhibiting leadership qualities of MGR the other one is Padagotti.
5. Along with other Emgeeyar Pictures movies (Nadodi Mannan, Adimai Penn and Ulagam Sutrum valiban) Ayirathil Oruvan was also re-released as digitized version on 14th March 2014.
6. On the first release the movie had 100 days run. After 49 years the movie was digitized and released in DTS audio on 14.3.2014, had 190 days run in Albert complex.
7. Ayirathil Oruvan helped MGR in getting a massive reputation in his political career.
8. Apart from many movies Ayirathil Oruvan enjoys re run in theatres all these 49 years and as well as shown in Television and most preferred buys in DVD.
9. M.N.Nambiyar also sang in the chorus for the song Atho Antha paravai.
10. The story is partly based on Rafael Sabatini’s Captain Blood but the movie is entirely different in terms of the character of Dr.Peter Blood and Manimaran (more about this comparison in another post)
11. As stated in many websites that Ayirathil Oruvan is copy of Errol Flynn starred Captain Blood (1935) and Burt Lancaster starrer Crimson Pirate (1952), it is nothing to do with Crimson Pirate the only resemblance is both are pirate based movies.